Sponge

The sponge was created using aerosol spray and foam. I laser cut a stencil to simulate the pattern of a common kitchen sponge and then sprayed the foam. Because of the way aerosol “eats” at the sponge it creates a pattern, therefore the purpose of the stencil is to decide which part gets sprayed. The result will look like a giant kitchen sponge, a larger version of the rug in the miniature.​ ​ Once installed at Pearlstein there will be an AR portion where bubbles will be coming out of the sponge through a provided Ipad. If I cannot get the AR portion to work (Tarun, a grad student, is going to try to get the AR working, while Darren is getting the actual bubble animation to work.) My back up plan is to create a projection screen to go on front of the sponge and project the bubbles on it to simulate AR but it would only be from one direction.​ ​ In terms of the meaning for this specific one, It is still in the earlier stages of development, so I do not know exactly what it means but I do know that some of my ideas of the bubbles is to have something inside them, either a trinket from the room. The memories of the space are inside of them. My other idea is to have parts of the performance embedded in the bubbles which might be easier.​

Comments

Popular Posts